Sunday, January 13, 2008

At last, a wine review: Alejandro Fernández El Vínculo Crianza, 2002, La Mancha, Spain



So although I've sampled quite a few wines in the preceding weeks, I've finally been spurred to write a review. I suppose with all of my consumption of wine literature lately, it is not a surprise that I feel the urge to wax poetic about something. Why not the wine I drank tonight?

Name: Alejandro Fernández El Vínculo Crianza
From: La Mancha, Spain
Year: 2002
Grapes:100% Tempranillo (13% alcohol)

A dark portly color, when brought to the nose, a heady bouquet of cherry and strawberry leads an aroma of licorice, followed by a dusty trail of gamey spice. On the palate, an austere weight mellows without being too formidable, and a supple acidity balances ripe berry fruit with the chocolate spice and dusty tannins. Overall, a well structured wine, priced moderately at $29.99 a bottle. Enjoy with grilled meats, stews, or even pasta bolognese as I did. For a light bite, try it with Manchego cheese. Definitely a delicious standout from one of the largest wine producing regions in Spain and the world. 95/100.

No comments: